Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology is a branch of medical science that aids students in getting insight about Medial Lab. DMLT furnishes understanding in diagnosis, symptoms, prevention, and treatment of diseases through clinical laboratory tests. It involves analysis of body matter such as fluid, tissue, and blood.
It too includes chemical analyses, cell count and platelet count. After getting a diploma in MLT, candidates can perform various activities such as analyzing body fluids, sampling, testing, reporting and documenting medical investigations.
Duration and Eligibility:
Duration of this particular course is 2 years after 12th while some colleges or universities consider only 1-year course duration.
Qualification: The candidate should have passed XII Science or an equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry & Biology.
Marks: 10+2 with minimum 50% marks in aggregate with Science subjects. Some colleges also consider minimum marks of 40% with Science subjects.
Age limit: There is no age restriction for DMLT course.
Different colleges/universities have a different mode of admission procedure.
1) Students after 12th with science (usually having a good score in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) can directly get admission.
2) Many colleges prefer entrance test.
3) Other may take personal interview by the selection committee.
4) And, the final selection of the candidate will be subject to the selection committee and medical fitness.
Top institutes offering Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology [DMLT] :
|Name of Institute||City|
|Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Subharti Medical College||Meerut|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore|
|EMS College of Paramedical Sciences||Malappuram|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai|
|Baby Memorial College of Nursing||Kozhikode|
|Government Thoothukudi Medical College||Thoothukudi|
Major areas of study:
This course is generally divided into two years:
1) Basic Hematology
2) Basics in laboratory equipment and chemistry
3) Clinical Pathology (body fluids) and Parasitological
4) Blood banking & Immune Hematology
3) Clinical Biochemistry
4) Histopathology and Cytology
Benefits of doing DMLT:
With the growth in the private sector, there are so many pathology laboratories, private hospitals, blood banks, nursing homes, etc. So, the benefit for laboratory technicians is always on the top.
1) After completion of DMLT, he/ she can join any laboratory as a laboratory technician.
2) Medical technologists work to aid correct diagnosis and effective functioning of Biochemical Laboratories.
3) With adequate knowledge and experience, they can advance to supervisory or management positions in hospitals.
4) They can also work as a healthcare Administrator, Hospital Outreach coordination, Laboratory manager, laboratory information system Analyst etc.
Career prospects after DMLT:
Career prospects depend on the candidate's technical skills. They can work generally in:
1) private hospitals
2) Nursing homes
3) Blood banks
4) Molecular diagnostics
5) Medical emergency
6) X-ray labs
Other laboratory technician careers
Medical Technicians in India have a whole variety of fields in which to work. These are:
1) CT Scan Technicians
2) Anesthesia Technicians, Laboratory Technicians
3) MRI Technicians
4) X-Ray Technicians
5) Dental Mechanics [Technicians]
6) Operation Theatre Technicians
7) Pathology Technicians
Salary of DMLT graduates:
1) Medical Laboratory Technicians get a handsome salary in hospitals, clinics and diagnostic laboratories.
2) The starting average salary of a lab technician ranges between Rs. 8K-16K per month in hospitals and in clinics.
3) Lab technologists get a higher salary as compared to lab technicians.
Employment of these healthcare workers is expected to grow fast in the near future.