A very basic concept i.e. Computer understands only Binary language.
To make the computer understand there is a need to integrate code using 0s and 1s. We call each as a bit. We human beings are not comfortable with binary code. Writing binary code is very complex and time-consuming. There required human-readable and simple programs that can execute in every machine.
With the rapid development and advanced technologies, each system is developed with different Binary code representation. For that, a set of standards was developed, in which ASCII is one of them.
It is an 8-bitcode that acts as a method used for translating computer text into human-readable text.
ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is applicable for encoding different documents on the system, make use of eight bits to represent a letter or number.
In ASC11, every character including numbers, upper case, lower case letters, and punctuation symbols are given a corresponding code for representation. For e.g. 'A' has been given a value i.e. "65" whereas blank space has 32.
Advantages of ASCII
- A Character Encoding Scheme that encodes 128 characters into 7 bits integers and acts asan identification of the keyboard's character, letters, and special characters.
- Enhance keyboard understand ability. One can easily determine which character to be displayed while pressing the key.
- Acts as a format for text files for file storage and sharing
- File Documentation
- ASCII tables permit computers to read entire written word documents stored in it.
ASCII Characters can be categorized into three sections that are given below:
- 1 to 31 i.e. Control Codes
- 32 to 127 i.e. Standard Characters
- 128 to 255 i.e. Non Standard Characters, Special Symbols, and International Character Sets
Where control codes perform various display control operations instead of displaying symbols.
Standard and non-standard character set consist of various punctuation symbols, special characters, the numeric digits, upper and lower case alphabetic symbols, five additional special symbols, and some other control characters.