Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) is a three-years undergraduate degree course and is made for those students who want to set up their future in the IT industry. It is one of the leading courses and provides great opportunities to the computer graduates.
Generally, students having the interest in computer languages pursue this course. After completing this course, one can do the MCA (Master in Computer Application) which is the advanced course of the BCA.
Duration and Eligibility:
BCA course is made of 3 years (6 Semesters).
Qualification: Students should pass the H.S.C (10+2) exam from any stream with English and math as the passing subjects.
Marks: Students must secure at least 50% in aggregate depends on the college/university.
Age limit: Minimum age - 17, maximum age - 22 (depends on category)
Admission procedure varies from college to college and universities to universities. In most places, it is merit-based exams; students have to cross with the entrance test and then after merit list is published. Final selection is based on the personal interview.
In some colleges and universities, they offer direct admission for those who want to pursue the BCA program.
Some colleges take the admission which is purely based on marks secured in 10+2 examination (cutoff marks).
The lateral entry also offers by some colleges, it means if the students have passed 10+2 exam and have done computer course of minimum 6 months of duration.
Major areas of Study:
Students can select the following specialization for the BCA program:
a) Computer Graphics
b) Database Management
c) System Analysis
d) Programming Language
f) Internet Technologies
g) Word Processing
h) Personal Information Management
i) Music and Video Processing
j) Personal Information Management
Benefits of doing BCA:
There are so many benefits of doing BCA, they are as follows:
- After completing BCA, one can join the different companies for the different job roles.
- It developed interpersonal and communication skill.
- Those who want to pursue a Master's degree in the same course, they can do MCA just after the BCA.
- One can seek the job in both private and government sectors.
- It gives you the depth knowledge of computer.
Career Prospects after BCA:
- After completing BCA, one can apply to big companies like IBM, Infosys, Wipro, Oracle etc.
- One can hold the position of Software Developer, Software Tester, Computer Manager, Database Administrator, System Administrator, Junior Programmer, Web Developer, Business Consultants, etc after completing BCA.
- The Only private sector is not the option, one can take the job in Government sectors like Indian Air Force, Indian Navy, Indian Army, BHEL, NSDL, NET, AAI and BSNL, and other companies hire BCA graduates.
- One can switch to Banking Sectors, Stock Markets, and Insurance Companies after the BCA.
- One can do the MCA which is the advanced course of BCA.
Salary of BCA Graduates:
Numbers of IT companies are increasing rapidly and it is one of the highest paid jobs in the world. Salary depends on the organization as well as the employ skill and performance during the interview.
However, it is estimated that the average salary of a BCA student lies between 2 - 4 lakhs per annum and sometimes above that, its depend on performing and capabilities.