HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) i.e. A digital connector used to carry audio as well as display signal between two devices.
Objectives of designing a HDMI interface
It was designed to overcome the disadvantages and to enhance the features of DVI.
Advantage of HDMI cable:
- A single cable of HDMI can serve both video as well as audio signal
- High definition picture
- Quality resolution video output
- Future compatibility
- Great mobile connectivity
- Quality color saturation
- It permits signal transmission in uncompressed format
- Compatible with display ports
- Large bandwidth
- Capable of maintaining signal integrity
- It permits automatic configuration through Extended Display Identification Data which act as an intelligent parameter for best resolution identification
- Ease to use
- Permits interaction of two devices
- It support deep colors i.e 10 bit, 12 bit and 16 bit (RGB or YCbCr) for rendering multiple colors
- This HDMI standard supports Authentication and Encryption features
- It permits hot plug detection to identify connection of a cable
- It acts as a high speed cable which can able to handle WQXGA resolutions
Categories of HDMI cables:
Standard cables (Category 1 HDMI)
Acts as a standard speed cable which is further categorized into three wires i.e. Standard, standard with Ethernet and standard Automotive.
Applications of Category 1 HDMI cable:
Used in areas where high-definition sound, shared internet connections, and device networking are required.
High-speed cables(category 2 HDMI): These cables act as high speed cable which is further categorized into high speed HDMI and high speed HDMI cable with ethernet.
Applications of category 2
Emerging technologies including 3D,3.4 Gbps, and 4K videos and also applicable in internet connections.
Pins of HDMI connector
It include 19 pins.
Applications of HDMI cable:
- HDMI cables are used with Ethernet for internet connections
- Used in advanced electronic devices which require improved picture and sound
- Set-top box
- DVD player
- A/V receiver
- Video monitor
Trending version of HDMI
a) HDMI 1.4 (2009)
b) HDMI 2.0 (2013)
c) HDMI 2.1 (2017)
HDMI 1.4 (2009)
- Integrated size
- It support 3D
- 4K resolution compatibility
- Permits digital content distribution
- Color space compatible i.e. it supports 16 b color bit depth
- Internet connection sharing
- Bandwidth is 10.2 Gbps due to which it can support 30 Hz UHD
HDMI 2.0 (2013)Main Features
- It Supports HD videos at 120 HZ
- Dynamic synchronization
HDMI 2.1Main Features
- It supports ultra speed 48G bandwidth
- Quick media switching
- Variable refresh rate
- Quick frame transport
Why HDMI cables are popular?
Because it supports 32 channel Audio, videos, and 100 Mbs Ethernet.