HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) i.e. A digital connector used to carry audio as well as display signal between two devices.
Objectives of designing a HDMI interfaceIt was designed to overcome the disadvantages and to enhance the features of DVI.
Advantage of HDMI cable:
- A single cable of HDMI can serve both video as well as audio signal
- High definition picture
- Quality resolution video output
- Future compatibility
- Great mobile connectivity
- Quality color saturation
- It permits signal transmission in uncompressed format
- Compatible with display ports
- Large bandwidth
- Capable of maintaining signal integrity
- It permits automatic configuration through Extended Display Identification Data which act as an intelligent parameter for best resolution identification
- Ease to use
- Permits interaction of two devices
- It support deep colors i.e 10 bit, 12 bit and 16 bit (RGB or YCbCr) for rendering multiple colors
- This HDMI standard supports Authentication and Encryption features
- It permits hot plug detection to identify connection of a cable
- It acts as a high speed cable which can able to handle WQXGA resolutions
Categories of HDMI cables:Standard cables (Category 1 HDMI)
Acts as a standard speed cable which is further categorized into three wires i.e. Standard, standard with Ethernet and standard Automotive.
Applications of Category 1 HDMI cable:Used in areas where high-definition sound, shared internet connections, and device networking are required.
High-speed cables(category 2 HDMI): These cables act as high speed cable which is further categorized into high speed HDMI and high speed HDMI cable with ethernet.
Applications of category 2Emerging technologies including 3D,3.4 Gbps, and 4K videos and also applicable in internet connections.
Pins of HDMI connector
It include 19 pins.
Applications of HDMI cable:
- HDMI cables are used with Ethernet for internet connections
- Used in advanced electronic devices which require improved picture and sound
- Set-top box
- DVD player
- A/V receiver
- Video monitor
Trending version of HDMIa) HDMI 1.4 (2009)
b) HDMI 2.0 (2013)
c) HDMI 2.1 (2017)
HDMI 1.4 (2009)
- Integrated size
- It support 3D
- 4K resolution compatibility
- Permits digital content distribution
- Color space compatible i.e. it supports 16 b color bit depth
- Internet connection sharing
- Bandwidth is 10.2 Gbps due to which it can support 30 Hz UHD
HDMI 2.0 (2013)Main Features
- It Supports HD videos at 120 HZ
- Dynamic synchronization
HDMI 2.1Main Features
- It supports ultra speed 48G bandwidth
- Quick media switching
- Variable refresh rate
- Quick frame transport
Why HDMI cables are popular?