The Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) which is also known as +2 or Intermediate examination, is a general public examination written by students of Intermediate College in some of the Asian countries like India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh etc. In India, the examination structure differs from board to board. But in most of the boards, they are subjective examinations. HSC is as good as GCE in England and high Schools exams in the United States.
Duration and Eligibility:
Course duration is 2 years.
Qualification: Students should have passed SSC from any board.
Marks: Students must secure at least passing percentage of 40 in aggregate.
Age limit: No age limit.
1) Different schools/colleges have a different mode of admission procedure.
2) Reputed Private Schools consider SSC marks of around 80%.
3) One can also apply directly just by having a minimum of 40% marks.
4) Some schools may take an entrance exam or aptitude exam for admission.
Top HSC School/College in India:
a) Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Hyderabad.
b) Oxford English School, Bangalore
c) Miranda House, Delhi
d) Hindu College, Delhi
e) Kirori Mal College, Delhi
f) Ahmedabad International School, Ahmedabad
g) National Centre for Excellence, Bangalore
h) Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Kolkata.
i) Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Hyderabad.
j) Stella Maris College, Chennai
k) Oxford English School, Bangalore
Major areas of Study:
Subjects in HSC are:
a) Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science and Physics)
b) Business Studies
d) Legal Studies
e) History (Modern, Ancient, Extension)
f) PDHPE (Personal Development, Health and Physical Education)
Benefits of doing HSC:
There are numerous benefits of doing HSC:
1) A student can graduate after HSC.
2) Candidates are eligible for various entrance exams like RRB, Bank Po, and IBPS etc.
3) In some cases, jobs are also provided based on marks scored in HSC.
4) More chances for admission in colleges with less acceptance rate.
5) If someone gets good marks for instance around 90%, he /she can easily prepare for entrance exams like IIT JEE mains-Advance.
6) Not only science, but one can also go for Arts or Commerce whatever they like.
Career prospects after HSC:
It opens a whole new world of education system and they can excel in any field they want to.
1) There is no lack of career or course option for a student after completing 12th standard.
2) Students can easily complete graduation on various stream depending on what subjects they have taken in HSC.
3) Science students can go in the Engineering field, Medical field etc while Arts and commerce can go for the B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication, Hotel Management etc.
4) If a student has chosen biology in HSC, he has an option to become an MBBS.
Salary of HSC students:
In today's competitive era, students usually don't expect a job after HSC. However, they can get a job by writing various competitive exams in public or private sector and pay income is not so dull.
1) Holing HSC Certificate, one can find jobs in Banks and pay is around 15k per month.
2) If someone cleared the entrance exam based on HSC pattern they have chosen, then the pay would be around 18k per month plus.
3) No doubt, in govt. sector he/she is greatly incentivized.