Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) is a 2-year duration undergraduate degree course, made for those students who want to set up their career in the teaching profession. Like B.Tech, B.Com and MBBS, it is one of the popular and outstanding courses pursued by the students. Earlier, it was named as Bachelor of Training (BT). Through this course, one can work as a teacher in primary and secondary school. After completing this course, one can do the M.Ed. (Master of Education) which is the advanced course of the B.Ed.
Duration and Eligibility:
Course duration varies from country to country. In India, It is a 2-year program whereas, in Australia, Bangladesh, and Ireland, it is a 4-year program. Also, it is different in countries like USA, UK, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, Ireland etc.
Only Graduates are eligible are eligible for this course. In most states, any undergraduate degree from the recognized board or university with at least 50-55% (in aggregate) is needed for the B.Ed. course but some colleges demand undergraduate programs like B.A, B.SC, and B.Com to get an entry in the B.Ed. course.
1) Admission procedure differs from college to college and universities.
2) Reputed colleges/universities take the entrance test where students required appearing in the entrance exam. Normally, in the month of May and June, the entrance test is conducted. The test is made of English, Aptitude, General Knowledge and Reasoning questions. Within 1-2 months they publish the merit list of the students and the final selection is based on the personal interview.
3) Some colleges/universities offer direct admission for the B.Ed. course.
4) Those who have done the B.Tech/B.E., they are also eligible for this course but at least 50-55% (in aggregate) forms the recognized institution or university.
5) One can also go for the B.Ed. even after the Master's degree.
6) Some of the top universities in India are Delhi University, Guru Govind Indraprastha University, Jamia Milia Islamia University, Mahatma Gandhi University, Banaras Hindu University, and Lovely Professional University.
Major Areas of Study:
Major subjects studied in B.Ed. are given below
a) Educational Psychology
b) Holistic Education
c) Philosophy of Education
d) Education Evaluation and Assessment
e) Education, Culture and Human Values
f) Guidance and Counseling
h) Communication Skills
Benefits of doing B.Ed.:
There are so many benefits of doing B.Ed., they are as follows:
1) Since it is for teaching profession so it provides job satisfaction and high income.
2) There is no shortage of job if someone holds the degree of B. Ed like you can apply in primary and secondary school, Coaching centers, and Private Tuitions.
3) It develops interpersonal and communication skill
4) Through this degree, you will know how the successful Teacher, Instructors, counselor, and online tutoring are making money.
5) Those who want to pursue a Masterâs degree in the same course, they can do M.Ed. just after the B.Ed.
6) One can seek the job in both private and government sectors.
Career Prospects after B.Ed.:
Teacher: You can become a teacher where your responsibility is to conduct the standard classes. B. Ed. graduates can apply to any CBSE, ICSE and IB schools.
Content Writer: After completing B.Ed. you can apply for the Content writer post where you have to write on the particular allotted topic, you can take the help of the internet.
Counselor: The job responsibility of a counselor is to evaluate the abilities and interests of the students and then accordingly solve the problems.
Administrator: It is a non-teaching job. An administrator works at every level of education or they are multitasking in nature like they manage the budget, inquiries, data entry management, organizing and servicing meetings.
Librarian: You can be a librarian after B.Ed. the duty of a librarian is to select, develop and classify the library resources.
Educational Researcher: The job role of an educational researcher to conduct educational research projects to manage and develop education programs.
Private Tuitions, Home Tuitions, and Coaching Centers: After completing B.Ed., you can open your own coaching center. Also, you may take the home tuitions or private tuitions.
Salary of B.ED Graduates:
Salary depends on the following factors:
1) It depends on the profession or area selected by the students like the salary of a teacher is different from the counselor and administrator.
2) Academic background also plays a crucial role in deciding the salary.
3) Mainly, it depends on the skill and performance of the employ.
However, it is estimated that the average salary of a teacher is 3 lakhs per annum. It gets increases with the experience. Government school provides the handsome package with compare to private schools.