Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
XMPP is an acronym for Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol i.e. communication protocol has been originally built by the Jabber open-source community. This versatile protocol supports multiple communication including instant messaging presence, voice call, asynchronous messaging, request/response, video calls, publish/subscribe, collaboration, content syndication etc.
XMPP protocol permits streaming XML over networks and real-time communication. In addition to facilitating message capabilities and presence, this protocol has also seen in many IoT applications, gaming, VoIP etc. In XMPP, Transport Control Protocol (TCP) is used for transmitting data and media sessions.
The architecture of XMPP is identical to the email i.e. decentralized that permits anyone to execute their own XMPP server, enable individuals communication experience.
History of XMPP:
- In 1998, the original open instant messaging protocol named as Jabber was developed by Jeremie, which was later approved by IETF
- In May 2000, Jabber's version 1.0 was released
- In October 2000, Jabber's Version 1.2 was introduced
- In August 2001, by extending Jabber technologies, The Jabber software foundation was introduced for open source project coordination
- In October 2002, foundation of XMPP Group was permitted by the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG)
- In 2004, the two core XMPP specifications i.e. RFC 3920 and RFC 3921 were published by IETF which in turn results on XMPP adaption.
- In August 2005, the most outstanding services i.e. Google Talk IM and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) were released over XMPP. After this, XAMPP was rapidly used by MNC companies including Apple, IBM etc.The most common example of XAMPP is Facebook. It started implementing XMPP protocol for chat process in 2010.
Applications of XAMPP:
- XAMPP permits instant messaging over the Internet. WhatsApp messenger is the best example of XAMPP.
- XAMPP provides a great method for connecting a home device with a server instantly.
- XAMPP is applicable for scalability purposes.
- Ideal for group sharing and social networking apps.
- Applicable for customer-oriented IoT applications because XAMPP is more secure and containing high addressing strength.
- Device addressing.
- Playing online games.
Advantage of XAMPP
- More Secure because of SASL and TLS
- Suitable for custom cloud services as well as instant messaging
- It is dependent on open standards
- Anyone can setup a XMPP server
- It is compatible with multiple implementations of clients and servers
- More efficient
- An extensible protocol