Waterfalls are one of the most unique and impressive nature's gifts. India had innumerable waterfalls having from calm steady flows to thunderous falls. Here are some of the most significant waterfalls in India.
Major Waterfalls in India
1 Sahastradhara Falls:
It is located near Dehradun.
- It is formed by the liquefication of limestone rocks
- It was named Elephanta waterfall by the Britishers as it look like the face of an elephant
- It is an example of a nick point
- It represents rejuvenation
- It represents nick point and rejuvenation
- It is also known as Matsya Tirth
- It gets its name from the famous sage Kapil
- He wrote "Sankhya Philosophy", an advanced treatise on Mathematics in the Kapil Ashram
- It is a horseshoe-shaped waterfall
- It is the highest waterfall in India
- It is located on the river Pazhayar
- It is a 3 tier waterfall
- Meenmutty means "Where fishes are blocked" in Malayalam
2 Elephanta Falls:
It is located at Shillong in Meghalaya.
3 Chuliya Falls:
It is located in Kota on the Chambal River.
4 Dhuandhar Falls:
It is located in Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) on the Narmada River.
5 Rajrappa Falls:
It is located in Ramgarh (Jharkhand) at the confluence of the Damodar and Bhairavi (locally called Bhera) rivers.
6 Hundru Falls:
It is located at Ranchi (Jharkhand) on the Suvarnrekha River.
7 Joranda Falls:
It is located at the Shimlipal National Park of Mayurbhanj district of Orissa.
8 Duduma Falls:
It is located near the Koraput district of Orissa on the river Machkund.
9 Kapildhara Falls:
It is located in the Amarkantak district of MP and lies at a distance of 6 km from the Narmada Kund.
10 Yenna Fall:
It is located in Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra.
11 Dudhsagar Fall:
It is located in Goa on the Mondovi River.
12 Gokak Fall:
It is located in the Belgaum district of Karnataka on river Gokak.
13 Mekedaatu Fall:
It is located in Bangalore, Karnataka on the river Kaveri.
14 Jog Fall (Gersoppa):
It is located in Maharashtra on the Karnataka border at river Sharavati.
15 Shivasamundram Fall:
It is located in Bangalore on the river Kaveri.
16 Hogenakal Fall:
It is located in Tamil Nadu on the river Kaveri.
17 Pykara Fall:
It is located on Nilgiri hills at Ooty on the river Pykara.
18 Vattaparai Fall:
It is located in Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu) at the Palani National park.
19 Soochipara Fall:
It is located in the Wayanad district of Kerala.
20 Meenmutty Fall:
It is located in Kerala.
21 Vazhachal Fall:
It is located in Kerala on the Chalakkudy river.