The Peninsular rivers of India can be divided into 2 groups:
- Rivers flowing in the Arabian Sea
- Rivers flowing in the Bay of Bengal
- It is a major river in this region despite its high salinity
- It also serves as a primary source of irrigation
- It flows from Udaipur to the Gulf of Khambat to the Arabian Sea via Estuary
- It finally drains in the Gulf of Cambay
- It is the longest East to West flowing river
- It is known as the lifeline of MP
- It forms Duandhar falls at Jabalpur
- Aliabet formed by it is the largest Island in Estuary
- It is the largest Peninsular River
- It is known as the Dakshina/Vriddha Ganga
- It flows from Nashik to Andhra Pradesh and finally to the Bay of Bengal
- It is a Perrenial River
- It forms Shivasundaram Waterfalls
- It finally drains into BOB
- It is a seasonal river flowing through TN
- It finally drains in the Gulf of Mannar
Peninsular Rivers flowing in the Arabian Sea
These rivers flow from East to West. They only Estuaries and do not form any Delta due to hard rocks & lack of distributaries.
It is a Desertic river and is also known as the Sagarmati. It rises from the western slopes of the Aravalli Range near Ajmer and ends at the marshy lands of Rann of Kutch in Gujarat.
It rises from the dhebar lake in the Aravalli Range of the Udaipur (Rajasthan).
It rises from the Vindhya range (MP) and flows through MP, Rajasthan & Gujrat.
Famous projects on this river - Banswara Dam & Kadana dam
It originates from Amarkantak, Shahdol, MP, and is known as Rewa River. It flows through the rift valley of the Vindhya & Satpura ranges.
It flows from MP to Bharuch (Gujrat) to the Gulf of Khambat (Gujrat) and finally to the Arabian Sea via Estuary.
Its tributaries are - Hiran River, Tawa River, Kolar River
Major projects on this river are - Sardar Sarovar Dam, Maheshwar Dam, Indira Gandhi Sagar Dam
It rises from the Satpura Range of Betul (MP) and is the longest tributary of the Narmada river.
Tapi originates from Mahadev hills, Satpura range, Betul district, MP. It flows from MP to Maharashtra to the Gulf of Khambat or Cambay and finally to the Arabian Sea via Estuary.
Some famous projects on it are - Kakrapar Dam & Ukai Dam
It rises from the Western Ghats in Kerala and flows towards the west. It finally drains in the Arabian Sea via an estuary.
JOG falls, made by the Sharavati river in Karnataka is Highest in India
Peninsular Rivers flowing in the Bay of Bengal
These rivers flow from West to East and there are 6 main rivers in this group.
It originates from Dandakaranya Hills, Raipur and flows from Chhattisgarh to Orissa to the Eastern Ghats, and finally falls in the Bay of Bengal.
A famous project on this river is - Hirakund Dam
It originates from the Triambakeshwar Plateau, Nashik, Western Ghats.
Its major tributaries are - Penganga, Sabri, Wardha & Indravati
Major projects on this river are - Poochampad, Jayakwadi, Polavaram
It rises from Ajanta hills (Maharashtra) and is a tributary of River Wardha which finally merges into the Godavari.
It originates from Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra, Western Ghats and it flows through Maharashtra to Andhra Pradesh and finally to the Bay of Bengal.
Major projects on this river are - Koyna, Tugrabhdra, Srisailam & Nagarjuna Sagar Dam
It is a tributary of the Krishna river and it rises from the Western Ghats.
It originates from the Balaghat range (Maharashtra) and is a tributary of the Krishna river.
It originates from the Brahamgiri hills, Karnataka, WGs, and flows from Karnataka to Kaveripatnam (TN) to BOB.
Some famous projects on this river are - Krishnaraja Sagar & Mettur
It rises from Karnataka and flows between Krishna & Kaveri.
It rises from Palni hills (TN).