The Peninsular Plateaus are the largest of India's physical divisions. It mainly comprises broad and shallow valleys with rounded hills.
Peninsular Plateaus India
1 Shillong Plateau:
- It is a part of the Peninsular Deccan Plateau
- It is made of Garo, Khasi, and Jaintia hills
- It is the home ground of Shillong city
- Mawsynram (the world's highest rainfall receiving point) is situated here
- Its highest peak is Parasnath
- It is famous as Patland plateau
- It is also known as Rohr of India because of the presence of large mineral deposits
- It is a dissected lava plateau covered with black soil
- It is famous for cotton cultivation
- The river Chambal and its tributaries turned the northern part of it into a badland
- It is the largest plateau of the Indian peninsula
- It lies to the south of river Tapi
- It is majorly a lava region made up of basalt
- The erosion of basalt has led to the formation of black soil
- It is also famous for cotton cultivation
- It lies in the rain shadow of the southwest monsoon
- It mainly has dry thorn forests
- The Bababudan hills that are famous for iron ores are located here
- It is spread along the borders of UP and MP
- This plateau contains igneous and metamorphic rocks of the Archean period
- It is spreading in parts of Chhatisgarh and Orissa
- The Gond tribes live largely in this area
- River Mahanadi and Indravati flows through this plateau
2 Chhotanagpur Plateau:
It covers the NE part of the Peninsular Plateau including Jharkhand, parts of Chhatisgarh, and West Bengal.
3 Malwa Plateau:
It is located the north of the Narmada rift valley and it is a part of a central highland made up of granite and gneiss.
4 Deccan Plateau:
5 Telangana Plateau:
It is located to the north of river Krishna and is a part of the Deccan plateau.
6 Karnataka Plateau:
It is located to the south of the Deccan lava region and is built on the Malnad region in the west and Raichur Maidan in the east.
7 Bundelkhand Plateau:
The extensive erosional activities of river Chambal and its tributaries have transformed it into ravines.
8 Dandakaranya Plateau: